Maine Workers’ Compensation Adjuster Line of Authority

As of January 1, 2018, Maine is separating the workers’ compensation and property and casualty (P&C) adjuster lines of authority. Resident adjuster applicants seeking workers’ compensation authority as of that date must take a workers’ compensation adjuster examination. The combined P&C and workers’ compensation examination will no longer be offered.

Licensed resident adjusters who hold “property and casualty authority” as of January 1, 2018, will automatically be granted P&C and workers’ compensation authority.

Licensed nonresident adjusters whose license was granted on a reciprocal basis will not be required to take a Maine examination. Nonresident adjusters will continue to hold “limited to home state” authority to adjust in Maine any line of business for which the adjuster is authorized in his/her resident or designated home state.

These changes to the Maine Insurance Code are the result of the passage of L.D. 984. More information is available on the Maine State Legislature’s webpage, You may also contact the Bureau’s Licensing Attorney, Lindsay Laxon, at (207) 624-8429 or via email at